Skip links

Article sections

    In most states, even for an uncontested or simplified divorce procedure, you will need to attend some type of hearing before a judge (or another official acting like a judge, such as a hearing officer, referee, magistrate, etc.). This may be in the judge’s office or in a courtroom. You may only be required to attend, or both you and your spouse may be required to attend. You may need to bring a witness to testify that you meet the residency requirement. Generally, for a case where you and your spouse have signed a settlement agreement, the hearing will take less than 30 minutes, and will be mostly for the purpose of satisfying the judge that all of the paperwork is in order, that all required notices have been given, and that any residency requirement has been satisfied. For a contested case, at least one rather extensive formal court hearing will be required.

    in Litigation